A change to server credit in 1.7

I don’t know why people make this so complicated, there are 2 options, the first being making credit IAP only, in which case there would be fewer servers, but certainly higher quality as people will want to get their money’s worth out of their servers. The second option is keeping the system as is, meaning loss of revenue and eventually the shutdown of the cloud which means no servers at all.

I think the first option is the best one, besides Macs are pretty good computers, and there a convienent Mac app that allows you to host servers for free.

But if, like me, you don’t own a Mac. This is a waaaay more expensive option.

Well obviously you aren’t gonna buy a Mac just for the purpose of hosting a Blockheads server. I meant that Mac user/people already interested in getting Mac can host servers for “free”

An investment in an old Mac on eBay for 50 dollars to host a server for at least two years would be less than 70 Dollars for two years.

You’ve found a Mac computer in good condition on eBay for $50?

No, my example had a price that was a bit too low. I don’t see condition being much of a problem if you buy it only to host a server.

The lowest one I found was $100 for a 2008. And I don’t see why someone would invest $100 for just a hosting machine.

Yeah, and IMO mac servers are worse than reg ones, unless you want a little more private server, than mac servers are fine.

I agree with you, but the point I was making before is that one big purchase ends up being less than multiple smaller purchases over time. It doesn’t really matter though.

I’d also like to add, cloud worlds are the most convenient.

I can’t exactly ask for gift cards every single day…

On my next birthday, I get the majical thing known as the iCloud passkey

Twewy Iphone edition here I come!

((But most parents don’t give the passkey because they made the rule many years ago, back when the kid was cra-cra, and then the kid stopped caring, and never thought about asking for it
Mine did for a while))

Yes :smile:

Servers are going to cost what? $2 a month? $3 a month? You don’t have to ask for an iTunes card every day, just every 5 or 6 months. Maybe for Christmas and a birthday. Or make an agreement to do some sort of chore like yardwork or the dishes.

That makes sense Ronnie. I see why a parent would not like their young child to spend their own money freely as it can run out very quickly. A small child might not notice it or fully understand that when you buy something online it costs actual money. However, at a certain age children should learn how to spend money and what to buy or not. I don’t understand why someone would not let a 12+ year old to acquire and spend a little bit of money on things they want.

@UNIHORSE Well, I know at least one forums member who claims to be 12+ and repeatedly told on servers that they stole their dad‘s credit card to buy TC.
Parents might be worried about this stance😄
But there is more to this. It is a widespread approach that you should not pay real money for consumables in games. Coz they are, well … consumed … after a short period of time and you need more. No lasting value received.

I am not saying that the change to server credit is a bad thing. Quite on the contrary. But I am trying to explain why many kids simply can not pay for a server.

Well there goes my sever (the one I let die because of how bad it was)

I think some people should just start getting use to the fact that not everyone can or will be server owners anymore. Yes it is sad to see potential for servers go, but this is what is about to happen, and not much can be done about it. We should just get use to the fact that we will be players.

Consumables are different from paying for services. We must pay for our internet, our cable, our trash service, etc. Yes, once a month of service is up, we must pay again!

In BH, we can still use TC for the consumables like rushing a crafting project, or teleporting. It is only the service of renting server resources that will cost IAP. If we compare BH to Minecraft for just a moment…Minecraft has never had a way to run a server not on your own equipment without actual payment.I don’t think Minecraft PE has either. AND Minecraft charges money for the game itself. With Blockheads, at least kids didn’t have to pay for the game. And it’s not Pay-to-play, or even Pay-to-Win like other “free” games out there. The kids who don’t remember the pre-Cloud days have taken for granted the ability to pay for a server without getting out the old credit car or iTunes password.

I’m not entirely sure if I got this or not. But you can host Minecraft servers from your own devices for free. It’s just not very easy to do so.

@jemnidad
Just to be clear: I was not specifically talking about the BHs. But explaining why parents might disable all IAPs on their kid‘s devices.

I do not get why it is so hard to accept that due to whatever reason many kids all over the world can not regularly spend money on this game. And again: I am just stating what I think is a fact. I am not saying this should lead to cancel the new server funding or anything.