An Extensive Guide on the Construction of a Public Server Viable Sudoku Minigame Immune to Griefer Threats

A Short Announcement (TLDR)

The researcher would like to give a quick tip that you may also just skim the contents of the project and copy the build seen in the photo provided in the Introduction tab as a TLDR.

Preface/Abstract

This guide aims to provide the necessary elements in the construction of a sudoku mini-game in your public server. The research will detail the threats you will encounter in a public server and how to deal with them using construction methodologies while still maintaining the functionality of your sudoku mini-game. Auxiliary information will be added to accommodate potential Investors via Project Bill of Materials, and potential Architectural Designers via Design Talk. The reader is assumed to have basic knowledge on the rules of sudoku upon reading this guide.

Review of Related Literature

The researcher strongly suggests reading SKEEVES Thread: Blockheads Sudoku! (A Creative New Mini-game) as background knowledge before proceeding to this more detailed guide.

Table of Contents:

Introduction to the Guide

Design Objective:

To design a functional and playable Sudoku Minigame immune to non-hacker griefer threats

Design Considerations:

1. Color
  2. Compactness
  3. Accessibility
  4. Security

The photo above is an example of a finished but unsolved sudoku puzzle detailed in this guide.
Let us start by breaking down the process of construction from the start and why is it what it is.

Sudoku Base, The First Step

The photo above is what we will start with. We shall refer to this as “Sudoku Base” or SB for being the first step in construction. The most important concept to understand is that you need to use protections signs on your whole project, except the play area where your potential players would place their blocks.

Shown above is the most efficient way to use protection signs, protecting the project while keeping in mind the play areas are unprotected. Because the play area is unprotected, we need to ensure the back walls cannot be tampered with. Shelves and Elevator Shafts are used to prevent interaction with the back wall. The key difference between Shelves and Elevator Shafts however is that Shelves prevent block placement, while Elevator Shafts allow it. This restricts players and griefers to only placing blocks on the designated block placement areas.

Understanding Given Blocks and Protected Area Management

For the photo above, the researcher has removed the 8 protection signs shown in SB for clarity of information. All Sudoku puzzles start out with a “Given”. These are areas in the puzzle that provide starting information and the player is not allowed to interact with them. Shown above are all the areas where you can place protection signs to control the protected area. You will want to only protect “Given” blocks while blank spaces in the puzzle remain unprotected for player interaction.

A “Cell” Is an arrangement of elevator shafts in a 3x3 grid and is also a fundamental property of sudoku. You will notice above that some cells are protected differently. This is because the middle elevator shaft in that 3x3 arrangement does not have an adjacent protection sign to support it.

There are 9 Cells in total, and we have 3 ways to provide the missing protection area.

1. The 3 Cells on the left column use an expanded horizontal protection area
  2. The 3 Cells on the middle column use an expanded vertical protection area
  3. The 3 Cells on the right column simply has a protection sign placed on the “Given” block

As you may be aware, the third case is the worst looking aesthetically and should only be used when the first two cases are not suitable to use. The first two cases can be used when the middle block is adjacent to another given block. A sample situation will be presented later in the guide.

Reasoning on Choice of Color Based on Utility

Shown above are the 9 blocks we will be using in the sudoku puzzle, with basalt to be used in the Construction of SB. Sudoku has 9 numbers. For our purposes, we shall number these blocks as the following;

1. Luminous Plaster
  2. Ruby Block
  3. Red Marble
  4. Copper Block
  5. Gold Block
  6. Emerald Block
  7. Diamond Block
  8. Sapphire Block
  9. Amethyst Block

Consideration has been made for color choice based on the following parameters;

1. Brightness in Zoom-out
  2. Sufficient Difference in Color
  3. Uses a Pickaxe to Remove the Block

With Basalt and Black Painted Shelves as the background, the researcher believes this is the best combination of blocks for convenience of play. While it is recommended that these blocks are to be used, feel free to use your own combination of blocks.

A possible problem that may arise would be that public players might not know what blocks are used in your project. Make sure that the sudoku puzzle you will be using has at least 9 different “Givens” so that players would be able to copy the colors in your project.

You may also provide the blocks on shelves, but we don’t recommend this practice due to the potential stealing of the valuable gem blocks.

The Next Step after Sudoku Base

You will now need to find a copy of a Sudoku puzzle to emulate in your project. For our purposes we will use this Intellectual Property Free Sudoku puzzle found on the Internet for the rest of the guide. The “Givens” are on the left side of the photo. We need both a copy of the starting Givens and the Finished Puzzle. The copy of the finished puzzle is simply to proof-read the legitimacy of your chosen sudoku puzzle.

After you have made the SB shown above, you will now need to put protection signs on your “Givens”

Using the map in the “Protected Area Management” section of this guide, here is an example of how we properly protect the “Givens” of the Sudoku puzzle we googled. Notice in the upper left cell we were forced to place the protection sign dead center of the cell. This is because in that cell, the middle elevator shaft has no adjacent “Givens”. The cell on the lower right shows the better outcome of protecting the middle elevator shaft. This is because this time, the middle shaft has a “Given” adjacent to it on the right side. They are basically sharing the same protection sign.

Finishing up Your Sudoku Minigame

Now that you have properly put the protection signs on all the locations of your “Givens” you can now continue placing the rest of your “Given” blocks based on your chosen pallete and block numbering. Of course the one used on this guide was referenced in the “Choice of Color” section.

Design Talk

In this section, the researcher will provide some niche building tips on improving your project

Design Talk on Security

As you may be aware, most of our griefer problems could be solved with the use of protection signs. We also know that backwalls could be protected using Shelves and Elevator Shafts. Another problem to look out for would be water bucket griefers.

Luckily, water bucket griefers cannot place water on the following, which were used in the guide;

1. Protected Areas
  2. Shelves
  3. Elevator Shafts

But you should remember however that water is affected by gravity. And so proper roof and wall insulation is needed to protect the interior of your project. The construction of the SB in this guide prevents water from coming from the top or the sides. This is actually a building consideration in general, to waterproof your project.

Above is just a photo of how a solved sudoku puzzle would look like

Design Talk on Accessibility

The minimum requirement for accessibility as a consideration is to have access to all rooms in your project. No enclosed empty rooms. This also means a blockhead doesnt need to jump or fall down areas to get to places. Most importantly however is that your sudoku project does not require a jetpack to play. That just simply limits the amount of players who will be able to play your game, all because of spatial restraints.

As you might have noticed, the Sudoku project in this guide allows players to move anywhere even after all playable blocks have been placed. Although as a bonus, here is an example of the same sudoku project, but with enhanced accessibility while still being waterproof and secure.

Project Bill of Materials

Here is a List of all materials used in this project, and how much it would potentially cost according to the researcher’s standard world trade portal prices as of March 26, 2019. This is not a formal research, but a simple estimate for those interested in investing on a project like this. We have not included any calculations for changes in price due to fluctuations in demand or supply. Do note as well that copper coins are excluded in the computation of gold coin applicable entries.

Entry Quantity Price in Platinum Total Cost of Entry
Max Needed Gold Signs 89 *(0.30) 26.70
Basalt 276 0.14 38.64
Basalt Stairs 124 0.20 24.80
Shelves, Paint Not Included 144 0.0004 0.0576
Elevator Shafts 81 0.40 32.40
Doors 50 0.0005 0.0250
Steel Lamps 8 0.10 0.80
Reinforced Platforms 8 0.05 0.40
Luminous Plaster 9 0.63 5.67
Ruby Blocks 9 8.30 74.7
Red Marble 9 0.51 4.59
Copper Blocks 9 0.05 0.45
Gold Blocks 9 3.09 27.81
Emerald Blocks 9 3.60 32.40
Diamond Blocks 9 17.88 160.92
Sapphire Blocks 9 1.65 14.85
Amethyst Blocks 9 0.75 6.75
- - - -
Grand Total - - 451.9626

*(x) = Converted Gold Ingot Value

Time Management

3 Hours Prototyping and Finalizing Build
5 Hours Documentation and Write-up of Research
1 Hour Editing Write-up
2 Hours Learning and Applying Coding

Credits

Skeeve: for showing the idea

Thuthu: for sharing a build, inspiring me to start making my own

Bibliophile: for teaching me how to code in my post

Any ideas on real life simple games that could be emulated in Blockheads?
Cloud world: Skeeve's Gigantic Empire

Nicer table :wink:

Entry Quantity Price in Platinum Total cost of Entry
Max Needed Gold Signs 89 (0.30) 26.70
Basalt 276 0.14 38.64
Basalt Stairs 124 0.20 24.80
Shelves, Paint Not Included 144 0.0004 0.0576
Elevator Shafts 81 0.40 32.40
Doors 50 0.0005 0.0250
Steel Lamps 8 0.10 0.80
Reinforced Platforms 8 0.05 0.40
Luminous Plaster 9 0.63 5.67
Ruby Blocks 9 8.30 74.7
Red Marble 9 0.51 4.59
Copper Blocks 9 0.05 0.45
Gold Blocks 9 3.09 27.81
Emerald Blocks 9 3.60 32.40
Diamond Blocks 9 17.88 160.92
Sapphire Blocks 9 1.65 14.85
Amethyst Blocks 9 0.75 6.75

Is it ok if i copy your coding? PM me basically. I really like how yours looks and i dont know how to make a table yet. I’ll be sure to refference you as well.

Wow, @Vladmirangel!

This is so well thought out and presented!

This must’ve taken a lot of work!

Dad gum this is astounding work!
I may have invented the combustion engine, but you took that and made a Ferrari!
Well done! :sunglasses:

Fun fact. if you check back on the posted photos, you will realize all of them have rainy backgrounds. Apparently my sandbox world has eternal rain and so i’ll never be able to post a sunny picture there. Or maybe my hemisphere is just rainy and i’d need to move far away for the rain to go away.

Edit (7 Hours After): i’ll see if i can try learning more of the Code bibliophile sent to make the guide easier to read

Well, this was Fun.
ive checked out Bibliophiles coding link and have now updated the guide.

it should look easier to read now