Can I keep my animals in cages indefinitely without them dying?

I have so many resource dodos as pets. I would like just some of them to continually produce eggs and also I don’t want to set free the rest of my dodos. Can I keep them in cages for a long time? Or if I keep them in cages, do they get hungry and have a chance to die? I also would like to keep in cages to all my donkeys.
Edit: I came up with another question: Can I stack my caged animals in chests with no problem?

1 Like

Dodos and donkeys will never go hungry or die inside cages so you don’t have to feed them they also don’t grow in the cages either

Ok, thank you!

I came up with another question: Can I stack my caged animals in chests with no problem?

I guess it is like cryosleep for BH animals lol.

4 Likes

Yea of course. Even if you keep it in chests forever they still don’t die. Even if it’s at 99 stacks

1 Like

Shockingly enough, you can. I am not sure how ethical that is, but alas… :lol:

3 Likes

I would not say “no problem”. Chests with huge amounts of complex objects like shops, trade portals, paintings, dodo eggs and I would include caged pets can sometimes lead to data errors that cause the items or the entire container (safe, chest, cabinet) to vanish from your inventory.

I don’t think I have every had more than 20 or so animals of the same type stacked up so I haven’t seen the issue, but I have definitely lost chests full of dodo eggs. So I try not to keep all my eggs in one basket, as the saying goes.

4 Likes

I’ve never gotten my dodos past sand level I think. I’m just bad at taking care of animals in blockheads and I let the seasons and my apple trees naturally do it for me.

3 Likes

I have shelves with dodo caged. This is to organise all the dodos clearly. Some people use signs, I like placing their item in the space over them. Makes a nice visual.

No I don’t think they would crash. I had 40+ of certain dodos. And when uncaged it can get pretty noisy.

Also, in a stack, the last dodo caged will be the first dodo uncaged when you let them out.

3 Likes