Complete guide to Tulip Breeding

Tulips are currently the only kinds of plants in The Blockheads that have different colours and can be bred together to form new colours.
It can be a little time consuming to find and breed tulips, but hey, that’s why I made this guide.

Step 1: Finding tulips
Tulips can grow on dirt and compost, but not on sand (deserts, beaches, etc.) This means they can be found almost anywhere. They grow equally well in hot as well as cold climates (this just makes the process easier). They can also be found on sky islands, where I have noticed that there are much more varieties of colours. Mature tulips look like this:

And immature tulips look like this:

There is no way to tell the colour of a tulip from its immature state, unless you were the one who planted it and already know it’s colour.

Step 2: Harvesting
Harvesting a tulip by hand gives you one tulip bulb while harvesting it with a spade gives you 1 tulip seed and 2 tulip bulbs.
A bulb can be planted to give the exact same copy of the tulip from where it came, while a seed can grow into a tulip of any colour.

Step 3: Organising and Storage
When breeding tulips, it’s best to organise their bulbs and seeds so that you don’t make mistakes.
Do not harvest differently coloured tulips at the same time. Put bulbs and seeds of the same coloured tulips into the same chests, but keep different colours in different chests. Label the chests by putting signs above or below them. For example:

Here it is clearly seen that the signs above the chests indicate what colour of tulip bulbs and seeds are in the chests. When you have run out of space, just keep making more rooms underground for storing more chests. Organising your chests are very important. Make sure that nobody can mess around with your tulips.

Step 4: Breeding
Once you have your desired colours (you need at least 2 different colours to breed) you can start.
Take bulbs of colour 1 (the base colour) and plant them in alternate spots.
Take seeds of colour 2 and plant them in the remaining spaces.
For example: (1 represents bulbs of colour 1, while 2 represents seeds of colour 2)
Note: There are other ways to plant as well, but this one is by far the easiest.
Once planted, meditate or do something until they all sprout. Sprouting usually takes around 10 blockhead days, but may vary in different regions (equator, poles, etc.) Check all tulips carefully. If there aren’t any hybrids or mutations, repeat the process until you find one.
A mutation is harder to find than a hybrid (chances of mutation are very rare, you might spend your entire life trying to find one and still get none). Repeat with all colours and you should have a tulip garden full of brightly coloured tulips.

Difference between a hybrid and a mutation

1. Hybrids are dual-coloured tulips. Mutations are of a single colour.
  2. The colour of a hybrid can be “controlled” beacuse it gets its 2 colours from the tulips that you use for breeding. The colour of a mutation, on the other hand, does not depend on any other tulip. It gets its colour randomly.
  3. Mutated hybrids are mutations that have been bred together to form a hybrid made out of 2 mutant colours.
  4. It is important to note that the probability of getting a hybrid is somewhere around 1/30, while the probability of getting a mutation is somewhere around 1/100 (or more).

Important: On a server world, make a greenhouse and protect it with a protection sign to prevent others from destroying the tulips.

Hope this guide helps. I’ll try to post pictures of mutations if I find any.

EDIT: Don’t mind the amount of TC I have, it’s legit and that’s what you get when you watch about 6 videos every day for a whole year.

EDIT: I have found a mutated hybrid (a mutation with 2 colours I guess) while breeding.

As you can see here, one of the tulips is coloured seagreen and white border. It looks quite similar to plain white but it is very different. That’s why you should check your tulips carefully.

Possible colour combinations
As far as I know, there are 5 basic colours of tulips. They are the ones that are available naturally. They are (in increasing order of rarity):
Red, Yellow, White, Purple, Blue.
2 colours when bred have the possibility to form 2 hybrids: colour 1 on bottom with colour 2 on top, and colour 2 on bottom with colour 1 on top.
Then we have the mutations, of which I think there are 10 colours. Again, nobody knows how many mutations exist, so it’s quite difficult to say the total number of tulip combinations. But taking the number of mutations as 10, we should get total number of single tulip colours as 15. Then, finding out the total number of tulip colours possible (including single coloured tulips as well), we should get 15^2, which is 225. Of course, if there are more mutations, there would be more colours. Even then, 225 is a huge number. You might try all your life to find the possible colours and still not even make it to half due to the fairly low chances of getting a hybrid or mutations.

32 Likes

What’s the difference between hybrids and mutations?

1 Like

Hybrids are a mixture of two colours. A mutation is the spontaneous generation of a new colour.

13 Likes

I really want to breed a black tulip but so far it’s been unsuccessful :confused:

6 Likes

What she said.
And a mutated hybrid would be a mutation with 2 colours.

@Blocky1
Technically, you can’t “breed” a black tulip. Black tulips are mutations, which means they will randomly appear while breeding any colour.

For example, if you try to breed red and yellow tulips, the colour of the hybrid would be red and yellow. But the colour of a mutation could be anything completely unrelated to red or yellow.

So technically you can control the colour of a hybrid but not of a mutation.
Think of it as hybrids are controlled experiments while mutations are accidents.

EDIT: OOPS SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POSTING I DIDNT REALIZE

4 Likes

It would be nice for the part about organizing and storage.
“Step 3: Organising and Storage
When breeding tulips, it’s best to organise their bulbs and seeds so that you don’t make mistakes.
Do not harvest differently coloured tulips at the same time. Put bulbs and seeds of the same coloured tulips into the same chests, but keep different colours in different chests. Label the chests.”

To write about making a square building for all the tulip breeds to be put into. Labeling the chest is a bit hard, since if you run out of space, you would need to remove all the chest and maybe you might lose track of which is in the chest.

@Pokehgs I actually though labeling the chest meant putting a sign on the surface right next to the tulips breeding grounds. I might suggest add some ways to keep track of tulips for its a complete guide to tulip breedings. Maybe some pictures as well to demostrate it.

2 Likes

Labelling the chest is in fact, much easier. I do it like this:

This method works best for me since it makes it easy for me to know what’s in my chest.
If I run out of space, I just make another room underground and so on.
If I lose track of what is in the chest, I just take one bulb from a chest, wait for it to grow and check the colour. Then I label that chest accordingly, and repeat the process with the others. Simple.

EDIT: [quote=“Dagger_Mace, post:10, topic:52067”]
actually though labeling the chest meant putting a sign on the surface right next to the tulips breeding grounds. I might suggest add some ways to keep track of tulips for its a complete guide to tulip breedings. Maybe some pictures as well to demostrate it.
[/quote]
Done that. Thanks for reminding me.

1 Like

Still so confusing… But breeding 'em is still fun. I usually just mash some seeds together and watch what will happen. It’s quite fun to see what colours pop out. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t know how much time it takes for you but it usually takes me 1 hour to get a new colour…
:confused:

For me, it takes me around 20 minutes to get something new. It obviously if I’m lucky on that server if I can get a news tulip color.

2 Likes

Lucky you.

1 Like

Purple is more rare than blue in my experience

2 Likes

No neccessarily, Single colour mutations are as, if not more, likely.

And please don’t post twice in short succession in a row. I’m merging your two posts, but prefer not to have to.

3 Likes

Yeah sorry about that. I didn’t realise I double posted and then I edited it.
Single colour mutations are as likely as what?

1 Like

Look at the post I was replying to by clicking on your own name in my post, top, right corner, to answer that question.

1 Like

Oooh a mutated hybrid…

1 Like

Can you find wild mutations/hybrids?
I got this from a random seed:

2 Likes

Hmm. I’m not sure, but you may have just made a new discovery.
However, are you sure it was wild? Are you sure nobody had planted it there before you? It’s possible that someone tried to breed 2 tulips, became unsuccessful, and left a tulip there, after which you came, took the seed and got the results of that guy’s breeding.

2 Likes

I planted a seed… I was just wondering
But can you get them from seeds?

1 Like

I would say that someone planted it somewhere. I am 80% sure that they cannot be hybrids naturally. Perhaps it was a white seed that bred with the blue one next to it?

2 Likes