Differences between mac and cloud servers

Many users have asked “what’s the difference between mac and cloud servers?” Hopefully this thread helps answer that question.
Mac Server Only
Free to make (excluding initial cost of buying the mac)
No “add world credit” buttons.
Up to 32 people can join.
Can’t see how many players are playing before pressing play.
Players can’t join by the “Join random world” button.
/stop behaves normally the server but doesn’t restart itself, you need to do that manually.
Chat stays even after all players exit.
Use of the /reset owner command.
@Thuthu brought this up:
Much more access to player info from the Mac owner.
Ability for Mac Owner to do a rollback directly without help from Milla.
New Cloudworlds are suggested and have access through the world spinner vs. Mac worlds which are entered using specific IP/world address.
MacWorlds progress snapshots are potentially saved forever (is that right, @Joe, @222oreo333, @Wingysam @Titan ), whereas cloudworld info is saved for a limited time (1 month, I believe)
Apart from that Mac servers are the same as cloud ones, still a world others can play.

Also, you do not need a mac to play mac servers. Mac servers just mean that the world is hosted on a Mac, rather than the cloud service.

Doesn’t a thread like this already exist?

I don’t think it matters.

Good post Donutask. :slight_smile:

There is more. For example the owner of a mac server can access and manipulate a lot of game data files. (the real owner that is, he who runs the mac.)

Yep Ronnie, the owner can also do stuff like move spawn to the north pole. And there is no user that is owner, you can only do ownerly things through the Mac.

Ikr. I just wanted to make it clear this does not apply to a person who might consider himself as “owner” but has his server run by Wingy or Oreo or whoever.

Additional Differences:

• Much more access to player info from the Mac owner.

• Ability for Mac Owner to do a rollback directly without help from Milla.

• New Cloudworlds are suggested and have access through the world spinner vs. Mac worlds which are entered using specific IP/world address.

• MacWorlds progress snapshots are potentially saved forever (is that right, @Joe, @222oreo333, @Wingysam @Titan ), whereas cloudworld info is saved for a limited time (1 month, I believe)

(these are things that I think are true… the folks I ask above would be the real experts here)

@Brer-Rabbit it’s now a lot harder to move spawn location. The server will be the owner and thus is a yellow name.

And to Thu’s fourth bullet I’m not sure how you’d automatically save, but you can for sure manually save a world. It’ll stay in your device until you delete it at least to my knowledge (source: had to borrow an old Mac for a few weeks since my laptop was broken;not a master but i know a little) I don’t know if that changed with the new update though.

Server isn’t a user though, it is the owner through console. I said users as owners, meaning players that join the game.

Sorry I misinterpreted what you said. You could look at it multiple ways I guess. You’re right that server can’t play :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I understood what you thought I meant, and yeah, Server is owner in a sense. Not a player account though. :slight_smile: