Doing your part

Our part in the relationship this bulletin board constitutes is to treat you fairly and protect you as far as we can. Your part is to protect yourselves. If you give out your login details for this bulletin board and your account gets banned as a result you have not been unfairly banned. You have been banned because you are responsible for what is done with your account, and giving out your credentials means you are responsible for the consequences of such a rash action.

If you do not secure your account you may have to carry the can for sins that are not yours. Here are a few ways you can protect yourself from this:

• Never leave your client logged in on a shared device.
  • Never tell anyone your password.
  • Keep your account email address up-to-date.
  • Change your password regularly.
  • Maintain hard passwords (tips on that follow).
  • Log out of the forums if you are handing your device over to another for inspection, use, or repairs.

Tips on ensuring passwords are hard:

• Never use only one character type; include upper and lower case letters, numbers, and punctuation.
  • Never use short passwords. Stick to more than eight characters at least. More is preferable.
  • Avoid using the same password on more than one website.
  • Don’t write down passwords. To remember set up a system.
  • Never use your username in your password, or anything else that may be guessed.

If your account is used by someone else and they misbehave, you will have to carry the punishment, so it’s in your interests to harden your account and to report any breaches to me as soon as possible.

Examples of password systems:

Think of the site you’re setting the password for and select a word of at least eight characters that means the exact opposite of what the site means to you. If you find this board entertaining you might select monotonous. You could then remove all vowels and replace them with numbers and punctuation. Pick two letters and make them uppercase. Now repeat the word to yourself aloud (make sure you’re alone or your company might think you mad!), with emphasis on the upper case letters. Do this whenever you’re alone for a day or two after setting the password.

Alternatively, choose the user-name of another user here for your password, reverse it, and make every second character a number or piece of punctuation. Capitalise your favourite letter. To memorise think about the person and the interleaved character whenever you have a free moment for a few days after setting the password.

Another system might be to set your password as the compass direction your bedroom window faces combined with the name of one of your teachers or workmates, then imagine the teacher/colleague standing on a compass facing that direction. Again, be sure to throw in some numeric or punctuation characters as well.

I’m not suggesting you use these exact systems. In fact it’s better if you invent your own. These are merely examples.

Thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

60 Likes

If they have a forums account, yes. Serious offences may also result in a cloud ban!

5 Likes

Thank god this was posted. Password protection is an important thing! I use long passwords all the time, keeps things safe.

5 Likes

Thank you so much @milla! :slight_smile:

I don’t think anybody would be able to figure out my password.

4 Likes

No one cares enough to guess mine.

It’s super hard anyways though

4 Likes

How to make a secure password

If you want an easy password you can use foreign keyboards:

ᎢᎻᎬFᎾᎨᏞ
༅TheFoil༅
ЋēГœįł
123456789ᎾᎾᎾ

These passwords are good because you cant tell someone the password like that

Person: what is your password?
TheFoil
Real password: ¿”тЧεㅏŒÎŁ?’

Or

!€%‰?g«g,{s§‘F.?¡%j’°K?!*6?¥

Make your password very not obvious

I eat potato :x:
JjjI eÁt PoTaTøjjj :white_check_mark:

If you dont want all this nonsense then you can make your password something that is very wierd and no one would ever guess and that has nothing to do with you

You am a this table with server

Yes. This password is good because it doesn’t make sense and no one would ever guess it

Or if you want get a dictionary and find your password

Democratic
Kinghood
Grilled chese

You can make a password obvious but with a plot twist

Banana. FROGS ARE THE AMAZING

12 Likes

Dictionary attacks are the first brute force method a script kiddy up to no good will try. Never get your password from a dictionary unaltered.

11 Likes

Wow, I would never be able to memorize these passwords. :no_mouth: G2sz4hTl? Nope. :joy: I usually type in a bunch of random numbers at least 8 digits long and memorize… (I’m better at remembering numbers than letters)

3 Likes

The only reason I use the same password on most websites is so I remember what it is but the only people who know my passwords are my parents

5 Likes

risky move, unless you have a super passkey.

1 Like

Very supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, Milla. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Before you write on here that you use the same password on all sites or have had the same password for years; read the OP again! Those are both examples of a poor password system.

Telling everyone (including people who don’t have a forum account) about your system, or lack of one, is also a no no!

6 Likes

Another example is to use a combination of your initials and birthday numbers or any other number you really like.

If your name is Jean Luc Picard and your birthday is May the 4th, 1987…

j05L04p87

If you have a hard time remembering passwords, I recommend an app like 1Password. You can set one main password to open it, then record the others for safekeeping.

2 Likes

It can get hacked into, making it kinda risky.

1 Like

I use the same password for all sites, and it has no numbers or symbols, but I think it is fairly secure. I am not sure at the moment, but I think it has about thirteen letters, some upper and some lower case.

1 Like

My passwords are my kpop bae with a few heart face emoticons cleverly inserted

1 Like

I use the same basic password for all sites, but i change it by adding something in-between that shows what this site is so they are all different, but easily rememberable.

It’s just like @milla 's system.

4 Likes

As Milla said, using the same password for all sites is not a good idea. It may be so strong that nobody can guess it, but hackers do steal peoples data including passwords from hacking into the servers of big companies. So if they get your password from - let’s say - an online bookseller - they will also try it on your accounts on social media sites, cloud services, whatever…
If you use different passwords for each site, the damage is limited.

1 Like

I don’t have any sites with money at stake, well I guess instructables where I won a prize a few days ago, but nothing that I put any of my money into. My password is pretty strong, plus you have to know something about me to even think about coming close to breaking it. If someone would get into my forums account, I would be mad, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world. I have an account on a bunch of sites, and if I had a different password on each, I would probably get locked out.

2 Likes