Finally! A simple way to calculate Distances on 4X and 16X Worlds!

Hello Blockheadians!
This is by far, the geekiest thing I’ve ever done with this game, but I think it will be useful so here goes:

As most of you know, Blockheads fans have almost universally adopted the TC (Time Crystal) as a unit of distance. This is simply due to the fact that when tapping the Spawn Portal you can instantly see the cost in TC that it takes to teleport there. We fans have worked out that each TC represents 41 blocks distance (not quite exactly, but rounded off - it’s 40.96 btw).

The problem with 4x and 16x worlds is that the teleport cost maxes out at 200 TC. So after 8200 blocks, you really have no clue where on the planet you are. And on 16x worlds you can be up to 131,200 blocks away from spawn!

Well finally I’ve worked out a solution. It’s not going to sound that easy, but believe me if you try it a few times you can get to the point that you can work out some of the estimation in your head.

Step 1: On a piece of paper draw an arrow representing the direction the stars (or moon, or sun) are moving at spawn (or some other point, we’ll call it point 1) as accurately as possible. Here’s an example:

Step 2: Now draw an arrow representing the direction the stars (or moon, or sun) are moving at the location you want to measure to (or point 2 as we’ll call it). Here’s another example:

Step 3: Now attach the 2 arrows (in geometry we call them vectors) by their tails (vertices). Then get a protractor and measure the angle between them. In this example, that angle is 140°.

Step 4: Now comes the Math!
For 4x Worlds, multiply the resulting measurement angle by 4.44
For 16x Worlds, multiply the resulting measurement angle by 17.78

Using the example above:
4x: 140° x 4.44 = 622 TC
16x: 140° x 17.78 = 2489 TC

So the distance from Spawn would be 622 and 2489 TC respectively in 4x, 16x worlds.

This works between any 2 points by the way - and if you want to measure that on 1x worlds, simply use a multiplier of 1.11. Hence - in my example above, 140° x 1.11 = 155 TC.

I hope this is useful info for you distance-obsessed blockheadians! :smiley:

In game Coordinates
Time crystals unit of measurement
Navigation device / satnav
The next big thing - Coordinates!
Distance of one tc

I want to ask how in the great wide world you came to the conclusion of 4.44 and 17.78 but I’m terrified that you’re going to bring some quadratic quantum mechanics to the table and i’m gonna be honest, I’m just not ready for that kind of commitment.

Otherwise. This is incredible. Unfortunately I don’t think I have a protractor in my home. lol

No fear of Quantum Mechanics or Quaternary Conundrums or even Unequivocal Equivocations!
The 4.44 and 17.78 were the easiest part, actually. Here goes the explanation:

Every 90 degrees on the circle represents a Pole. There are exactly 100 TC’s, 400 TC’s and 1600 TC’s between poles on 1x, 4x and 16x worlds respectively. Therefore:

16x: 1600 ÷ 90° = 17.777777 TC per degree (Rounded to 17.78)
4x: 400 ÷ 90° = 4.444444 TC per degree (Rounded to 4.44)
1x: 100 ÷ 90° = 1.111111 TC per degree (Rounded to 1.11)

So for every degree you measure, you just multiply by those factors to convert back to TC.

– Back off man, I’m a Scientist – :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

On NC I’m I think I’m 346 tc from spawn plz could u work out how many train tracks that is once laid I’m not good at math but curious to know how many I’ve had to make from scratch , thank u :slight_smile:

This is amazing! Good work Skeeve, I will be using this a lot for railway systems.

I don’t know about you but I play BH to get AWAY from things like math and science. I’m going to keep counting the blocks I walk as I mine in a straight line from spawn, thank you very much.

But seriously, this is amazing stuff you’ve discovered. I think I’ll call you Coperniskeeve from now on.

Hmm. Ok I read you loud and clear on the pole to pole travel distances but isn’t the spawn portal at a random interval between two poles making there be a ‘fifth’ 90 degree of a circle? Or is that just irrelevant? Also for the record this math stuff is not how my brain operates so bare with me if I have this backwards and fractioned :smiley:

Sure - it’s 346 x 41, which is 14,186 rails. That’s equivalent to almost 9 full chests worth.

Lol - Coperniskeeve :smiley: That would work as an IGN! I better go claim it now on the Cloud.

Ah - very good question. It’s actually irrelevant because the distance from Pole to Pole is an absolute which never changes. If I used a “theoretical spawn” to calculate it would change every time as you noted. Another way to look at it is this: There are 360 degrees in a circle, and there are exactly 6400 TC’s all the way around an entire 16x World. If you divide 6400 by 360, you get the same number as 1600 divided by 90.

“You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Skeeve again”.
But… It’s Skeeve lol.

If only I had a protractor. Eventually I think I’ll look for one online if I feel the need to measure. :slight_smile:

I think something calculating the distance from two points, or even from where you are to spawn even beyond the 200 TC limit would be a great addition to the actual game.

Hmmmm

<watches while Coperniskeeve runs off to the Suggestion topic to suggest an astrolabe>

yes yes very geeky approach but i love it! thank you oh so much skeeve. very useful tool in calculating placement of structures/landmarks in your server or counting rails to be laid. (a little correction though in your op, the vertex of the arrows is supposed to be aligned on the vertex of the angles on the protractor, not the straight edge of the protractor itself :wink: )

guys! for those who don’t have a protractor or compass with built-in angle measurer, you can either make right triangles between the two arrows and use trigonometry to battle out the math (sine cosine tangent) OR try this, taken from Komplexify.com:

"My colleague J stopped in my office today with a curious fact: a technique learned by one of his students to approximate acute angles using nothing but a ruler. According to the student, to approximate the degree measure of an acute angle, simply mark the two sides of the angle at 3 inches from the vertex, measure the distance between these points, and multiply by 20. The result, according to the student, is the degree measure of the angle, within a couple of degrees.

if you guys want to read the full article and its helpful illustrations, here is the site:
http://komplexify.com/blog/2006/09/14/on-measuring-an-angle-without-a-protractor/

if you can, read the comments there as well esp. the last one, it’s the easiest explanation for how it is possible :slight_smile:

Thx Skeeve very useful tip

You’re quite the smart guy!

wow… 4 years later, and this post is very underrated. Crazy how dedicated you were

Lol, yes this post brings back memories.
Actually, I had hoped that Majic Dave would read this and then react by saying “woah, that’s just crazy, I can’t make everyone do that, I’ll just create a compass device that will always tell you how far from spawn you are.”

:joy: oh well :joy:

@Skeeve is this the particular reason SGEs Spawn portal is at 800 TCA? Something about angle of the stars determining that? i was assuming spawn was suppose to be 0 TCA, but why isnt it.

Ah yes, about a year or two ago, I came up with an absolute system so we wouldn’t have to say “400 left of spawn” or “500 right of spawn”. Instead, the North Pole is the reference point and is both Zero and 6400 at the same time.

Spawn is 800 because it is 800 TC from the north pole.

Confusing? Yes. But once I started changing the markers I couldn’t stop :joy: