First laptop recommendations

What kind of device would you recommend (hp envy x360, dell latitude E5440)? I’m kind of lost… there are so many laptops but After trying my friends chromebook I’ve been looking at those. I’m looking for something under $500. I’m open to any suggestions.

1 Like

Chromebooks are only good for browsing the web and running some apps. Windows Laptops are your best bet.

What kind of devices would you recommend?

If you want to do just browsing, a good Lenovo ThinkPad or Dell Inspiron could do you well enough.

If you want togame, multi-task, video edit, etc. then I can give you a list of specs you should look for.

Storage: At least a 256 GB SSD (DON’T GET A HARD DRIVE OR SSHD)

RAM: At least 8GB

CPU/Processor: Intel Core i5/i7, preferably something above 7th generation or an AMD Ryzen 3/5/7 (if you want to game, edit, etc., at least get a 4-core CPU)

GPU: Stick with the integrated graphics. If you wish to do heavier gaming, editing, photoshop, etc., you could always find a laptop with a dedicated GPU.

Display: At least a 1080p FULL HD display for optimal experience. Don’t get one with a TN panel; those have bad viewing angles.

3 Likes

I’m using a chromebook myself right now, and I’ve had it for a while now. In my experience it lasts longer than most laptops I’ve seen, has the android app store(though the operating system might not be able to take some android apps, mine handles most apps, except BH, pretty well), and its got a nice fast searching engine. The downsides to it is that many computer-based things(such as steam, elsword, or other platforms that require windows or apple OS for the initial downloader) will be undownloadable, there is a way to download windows on a chromebook but its extremely risky and could kill the computer(so highly not recommended). In conclusion, while chromebook is hated on from most of the PC community, it has its perks(and its cheaper too). Of course don’t forget the downsides to having a chromebook as well, as they will bother the heck out of you (and wont be worth it) if you want to play online downloadable computer games, flash/site-based games work just fine.

edit:I use a HP Chromebook(Forgot the model), although remember that most bare bones fully functional gaming PC’s are at least a thousand or two

Where I live you can get a gaming PC for $500.

I’d say that’s the bare minimum if you want to do some level of gaming.

I’m not going make any recommendations since at such a tight budget it’s important to have a good idea of you want to get out of it… browsing, gaming, editing, etc. The thing I will say is that when in doubt, save your money. Nothing is worse than spending a chunk of money on a computer that ends up serving you as a paper weight because it isn’t powerful enough.

I will also stress that when it comes to gaming, many people will exaggerate how much power you actually need. In this case I’d say aim for 30 FPS @ 1080p for medium graphics settings on your game of choice, it should be just fine.

At that price, why wouldn’t you get i5 instead?

Just to add: At such a small budget, you won’t be able to get much. I’d save up if you can for at least $800. You’ll be able to get a better computer that can last just as long.

Example: Here is my current laptop’s specs ($755):

• Windows 10 Home
  • 1TB HDD (Optane Accelerated)
  • 12 GB RAM
  • Intel Core i7-8565u @ 1.80 GHz
  • Nvidia GeForce MX250 (2GB VRAM)
  • 1080p FHD Touchscreen Display (WLED)
1 Like

Yes, gaming PC’s can go for less than a thousand, although functional, quality, and non-laggy gaming computers are quite expensive

1 Like

You could probably get a 2012 (unibody) MacBook Pro, which is the bare minimum if you want to run MacOS Catalina for around $200 if your budget was even smaller. I highly recommend that you watch this video.

That is unless you don’t want a MacBook/specifically want a PC.

Windows is fantastic for gaming and video/photo editing.

MacOS is great for music production and productivity.

Both are good for simple tasks like web browsing.

Just choose which system you want first, depending on your needs.

Example: I require Windows to be able to use Windows-only programs, video editing, gaming, etc.

If you get a MacBook, you will be able to run windows through boot camp.

I prefer OSX so I stick to Macs these days, with bootcamp so I can run Windows too.

1 Like

Chrome book is good for basics like YouTube and google docs. I find that Apple laptops are less laggy for times like minecraft and Roblox.

Thanks for the advice.

To see if chrome os is what I actually want I’m trying CloudReady if it’s not what I want I’ll probably get a Dell Inspiron 15 7000

What do you think of that laptop(2-1)??

I’m not entirely sure what kinda of performance you are looking for, so t best I can say is that that Dell 2-in-1 looks good for productivity, but it isn’t going to do well with video games. Overall I’d say it looks like a good, versatile entry-level productivity computer, but only that. If that’s what you are looking for then cool, but I can’t help but look at it from somewhat of a gamer’s perspective.

Also, I’d advise that you should not get a 2-in-1 laptop/tablet unless you have specific need for one, it’ll add extra cost that could otherwise be allocated to getting higher performance.

I think it really depends on what you wanna do with the laptop.
for me I would look for:
Windows 10 home
Intel Core i5/i7 (7th gen or above)
256GB SSD (SSD is very important for smooth and snappy windows experience)
8 GB RAM
dedicated GPU(light gaming and photo/video editing)
high accuracy touch panel(I like touchscreens :3)

For now I’m using HP’s ENVY

What are you planning to do with your laptop? Browsing? Gaming? Editing?

Are you actually gonna use the 2-in-1 features?

I don’t know what you are talking about? i5 and around here are $300 to $500 and $100 more for i7. This price is the whole PC.