Introducing: THE SKEEVATRON!

Is this in VB?

I was just looking at it. Very cool.
Are you able to import your own images?

No way to upload currently, but you can upload it somewhere else (just google image hosting, avoid postimg) and then use the link to that image.

Should I do it?

This is question about the skeevatron. I been able to successfully find out the colors of the art that alreadyis block shape needs what paint, but when I try to make them to “blocks” it just loads forever. Is that what it suppose to happen?

Yes. @OSHAOSHAWOT Absolutely!!

Hopefully starting today then

That will take a little while to build.

Are you using my Excel version or Bibliophile’s port?

Hey!! Should I try the port version? Or will my problems be the same?

Wow! It works really well! I will use this for the rest of my life! Thanks to everyone who made the Skeevatron :+1::+1:

@Skeeve I’m using Bibliophile’s port. Does the Excel version load faster? Mind sending me the link for the excel version since I always been using Bibliophile’s online version.

It actually runs quite a bit slower. Which is why I thought you were using mine.
Anyway - if you PM me your email address I’ll send you the Excel version.

Or if Bib posted the Excel version somewhere on the Blockheadsfans website you can download from there.

@jujubee22 I think you’ll have the same issues, but give it a try anyway.

Scrolled through this thread – couldn’t find it – what problems are you having?[quote=“Dagger_Mace, post:54, topic:55672”]
Mind sending me the link for the excel version
[/quote]

Reposting from above: http://blockheadsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Skeevatron%20Beta%200.9.xlsm

What image sizes are you trying to do? Keep in mind that the limit (currently set at 256x256) makes a pixel art which is 1/4th the height of a blockheads world. I’ve found that 50px wide is about as big as I like.

I had a highly detailed image of a completed crossstitch. It was either of an actual real life crossstitch, or it was a pattern from a program that places fiber-looking squares down when making the pattern. The shadow effect to give each square a 3 dimensional feel confused the Skeevatron color matching. I could build from the pattern easily as each color is visually specific in each square already. I could easily build it using only 14 colors, of which only three need be green. However, the pattern shows at least five shades of green with subtle differences in the darker shades, and the lighter shade. For that extra detail and higher quality effect, I would want to add at least two more green. Matching greens in BH gives me the most headaches, so I wanted to try the Skeevatron to see what colors it would suggest for the green areas. I thought it would be quick and easy. :joy: If my image was a basic clipart image with no variations or shading, then it probably would have been.

I use a Mac. I can run the macros on it just fine, but am running into errors with the file name of the bmp image as it tries to pull it into the program for workseet 1. I’m working with Skeeve on that, and emailing the original programmer of the first part of the code, to try and see if we cant get a working file on the mac. I scaled the image down to 256x256, and then i used Preview to export the image into a Microsoft bmp. It doesn’t give any options to what kind of a bmp, so I assumed it would default to 24-bit as that is the most common. I kept getting a “not a valid bmp file” error with it.

I ran it on my windows computer using the converted image from my mac and got a different error “not a valid 24-bit…” something like that. That’s when I realized Macs don’t convert to a 24-bit, or if it does, it doesn’t store the bmp’s file information in the right part of the file or in the right format. I took my original image and redid the conversion on the windows pc. The macro ran on the Windows PC this time without a hiccup. BUT…it ran too well. I learned you don’t want to scale it down to just 256x256 so that it works, you want to do it even smaller so that each pixel represents an individual block in your pattern, and in your final size you want to build. My art is about 58 x 81, not 256 wide or tall. So the program broke up each stitch into about four pixels each, and grabbed the shadows as separate colors. It was way too much to work with. I just ended up going back to eyeballing it and trial and error to capture it in the build.

It would have been nice if it would have just chosen one color for each square in the pattern. That would have been fabulous, and easy to use. I think if i convert it down to a smaller pixel size that matches what the actual block dimensions are, it will distort the image and lose the colors that can be seen clearly in the original pattern. Skeeve tried to do this and the image wasn’t converted with all the colors in their right spots, and there was a lot of blurriness that affected the chosen colors. I haven’t tried some of my graphic design converters yet, but I will soon to see if there’s a better way to convert it down to have cleaner delineations of colors.

It would be nice to have this tool have a feature that selects BH colors for you when you already have a pixel pattern. Instead, I think it would use the lines/grid in the image and try to color match those as well. ?? I’m not sure…but I think that’s how it is going to handle images that have a grid already.

Can you send me the image you are working from? I might be able to make something that can do as you describe.

At the very least, the web version won’t give you errors from mac/windows, it also lets you choose the desired size of your pixel art and then resizes your image to fit within those bounds.

I’ve made a very tiny update to the Skeevatron.
I didn’t like the way the recipes would appear for 1 and 2 pigment paint colors, for example “GNN” for plain Green or “RNN” for plain Red, so I replaced the “N” with an empty space.

Now the basic and 2-pigment colors will just appear like “G” or “RY” or something like that.

Looks a lot better.

But the code modification is so simple, you can do it yourself. In fact, none of the VBA code needs to change.
All you have to do is go to the “Recipe” Tab on the spreadsheet, highlight column “C” and then do a Find-and-Replace (Ctrl-H) and just Replace every “N” with a space. The program will do the rest.

Edit: Oops, my mistake, don’t mess with column C. Highlight Columns D, E & F and replace every “N” with a space. That will do it. Sorry!

#Original pictire:

#With skeevatron:

#Pixelart without skeevatron:

I’m not sure where the 1 block bit comes from.

Looking at the original image and the “without skeevatron” finished item; you have made changes to it that need to be done before you run it through the skeevatron. The beauty of skeevatron in this instance is that it will tell you how many buckets of each you need and the recipes to use. In your “with skeevatron” image; the software has done as it was asked and converted the provided image into BH colours. If you don’t tell it “I want this in 3 colours” then it can’t do it.

Wait a sec… how exactly did you do that? The Skeevatron only accepts images 255 x 255 pixels.
The one you have there is over 600 pixels in width.

But anyway, interesting how it turned the Sahara Desert pink :lol:

By the way, I took your image above, reduced the width to 255 pixels keeping the aspect ratio the same and ran it through the Skeevatron. This is what I got. It did turn things a bit pinkish.