Musings about the Suggestions Category

I’ve always loved the Suggestions category in these forums because it’s where we could publish our dreams and wishes for this beloved game. The posts in this category have often given rise to great excitement over a pending new version release as we wonder and try to guess what will be implemented from those suggestions.

But now, I fear that the stark reality is that there are no more updates of Blockheads to look forward to. The game is now 7.5 years old and although a new update would thrill this fan base, it’s just simply not going to give a return on investment anymore - that’s the reality of a mobile game approaching a decade in age.

So my musing is this: It seems that the suggestions category has served its purpose and should now be closed and archived. Otherwise - what point is there in creating vain hope in something that will never come to fruition? It’s a bit like a waiter giving you a menu after you’ve already consumed your meal and dessert and have paid the bill… Is my logic off? Am I missing something?

I happen to have come across several very long and detailed posts lately in the Suggestions category and all I can do is shake my head and sigh. All that time spent writing in vain… I haven’t the heart to tell the author that his lofty dreams have been stuffed into a bottle and cast upon a vast ocean with no distant shore to receive them…

7 Likes

We could rename it to the “if only” forum :grimacing:

I’ve noticed activity from people who know a content update is highly unlikely, so people still enjoy the discussion. I won’t archive it.

If people want to suggest a new name for it that indicates that it’s a bit redundant, we can then look at renaming it.

10 Likes

This. Thank you for saying this. I always wanted to say it in reply to every new suggestion thread but I didn’t know how to say it.

Yeah, “if only” is a good idea.

8 Likes

I have wanted to address this since the time it was confirmed that there would be no more feature updates, so thanks a lot for making this topic! :slight_smile:

I don’t know what the #suggestions category should be renamed to. Personally, I still think that it should be archived altogether.

3 Likes

I think “If Only…” is a good title.
or
“Wishing Well”
“Imagination Corner”

Or even just keeping the “Suggestions” title but posting a sticky note to make it clear to people that the posts in this category are nothing more than vain wishes and creative imaginings. I doubt that the individual I referred to who is currently posting 1000-word dissertations realizes this. Who wants to break it to him? :joy:

4 Likes

“Wishful Suggestions” might fit. I noticed that the category description was updated but I think that Skeeve’s suggestion, a pinned topic, might be more noticeable for those posting new topics. I’m not sure about other users, but I go directly to each category from the hamburger icon or view topics in Latest so I rarely view the Categories page and the various descriptions.

4 Likes

The About thread is pinned the first time you visit the forum.

Some people don’t seem to notice the pinned topics. Is there any way we could make it more noticeable?

Is there some way to force a redirect upon someone when they join? Like, the moment they enter the forums the only topics they get to see are the rule ones?

Not being serious here but how about: “Suggestions? …yeah right!”

:lol:

2 Likes

:roll_eyes: it must be 5 characters

Or how about the “Suggestions which might possibly but probably definitely not be implemented” category? :joy:

This topic ended up being a suggestion topic for suggestions on what to rename the suggestion category to :lol:

4 Likes

Wishful thinking? Suggestions that will be ignored? :stuck_out_tongue:

What are you suggesting? :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

What about “Wishes?”

That’s like asking why fanfics exist if they’ll never become canon.

The suggestions thread is pretty great in my opinion because even though Dave will likely never read any of the threads, it allows players to dream of faraway lands and exciting new content. It’s blockheads related and creative!

It seems like @davis12 created a carbon copy of Skeeve’s original topic/post

3 Likes