The Blockheads - A History

changes

Over five years ago, a game called The Blockheads was released on the iOS App Store. It featured building, exploration, gathering, and crafting. It became a hit when it was first launched, making it to the top charts and being played by well known YouTubers such as Jack Frost Miner. There was a message board launched around the same time for the game for players to discuss their suggestions, and show off their progress in the worlds they created. January 10th, 2013 is a day to be remembered by all Blockheads players.

Since then, the game has been updated with flight, sky islands, bigger worlds, multiplayer, world customization settings, trains, handcars, railroads, more ores, trading, more creatures, more items, art, advanced technology and building, PVP, armor, more benches, more clothes, better tools, plus much more!

It even got ported to the Google Play Store so Android users can play too!

We’ve established an amazing community of great people within the past five years, here’s to five more! Long live The Blockheads!

History of The Blockheads:
June, 2012: Blockheads starts its REAL development by majicDave, while it is shared on Facebook.

imageimageimage

One more: Water physics in the making!

November 12th, 2012. The forums are launched and the first thread is made by majicDave!

December 21st, 2012. The Blockheads is accepted by Apple.

January 10th, 2013. The Blockheads gets officially released.

Febuary 8th, 2013. The first content update! 1.1

Additions:
Kelp
Compost
Steel lanterns
Chandeliers
Basalt
Clay

March 11th, 2013. 1.2 gets released!

Additions:
Actions while outside of the app
The ability to warp in up to four Blockheads
Fish mobs
Fishing rods to catch 'em!
Ahhh, sharks!
Cooked fish, yummy!
Press can be updates further
Tin foil (shoutout to @TheFoil for having Foil in his username)
Tin foil hat

June 25th, 2013. Multiplayer! 1.3
Additions:
Mac worlds are added, up to 32 players can play with each other at once!
Local hosting: Play with five friends nearby!
GameCenter: Play with one other person, Voice Chat included!
Text Chat: To type to other players!
Iron doors and trapdoors
Shops
Copper and Gold coins
Blockserver: Host servers for 20 US cents a day, equivalent to 6 US Dollars per month! zhaus can turn them into SP worlds for you! You can make automatic messages, comparable to Bibliopile’s message bot, but a real feature! You only have to pay for days that your server is joined. You can reset owners of accounts. (still doable in Mac worlds)

Blockserver as it appeared on September 18th, 2013.

October 1st, 2013. Noodlecke Studios picks up The Blockheads for Android platforms!

October 10th, 2013. 1.4. TRAINS AND HANDCARS, WOW!!!

Additions:
Rails
Locomotive Trains!
Handcars!
Copper Bow and Arrow
HD textures, $2.99 USD!
Portal chests
Freight cars
Passenger cars
Electric furnaces, Kilns, Metal workbenches.
Electric stove
Silicon
Black sand
Black glass
Magnets
Display cabinets
Pig iron
Ice torches
Ice armor
You can warp in 5 Blockheads thanks to this update.
Cave trolls
Electricity and copper wires
PvP! Fight all of your friends. :smiling_imp:
Can shoot bow and arrow from a donkey (Does not work as of 1.7)

April 4th, 2014. 1.5. PAINTINGS AND PORTALS THAT YOU CAN BUY AND SELL FROM, WOAH!!!
Additions:
Trade portals, prices impacted by local and global purchasing and selling.
Scorpions, ahh!
Tutorial added to Single player.
Adds recent server list for servers (Never forget)
Ladders, beds, chests, shelves, display cabinets, safes, signs, and shops are now all paintable!
New paintings from the new…
Easel!
Stairs
Elevators
DEATH! Your Blockheads can now die, you can let them regenerate, or kill them FOREVER!
Golden bow and poison arrows!
Columns.

July 26th, 2014. 1.5.2. Cloud servers!

You can now create a cloud world with 600 time crystals! Up to 16 people can play on it. 100 time crystals per day of credit, or pay week/month packages for even less! Bye Blockserver, you are now merged with the cloud system, also created by zhaus.

November 19, 2014. 1.6. FLIGHT! Is that an island in the sky?

Additions:
Jetpacks, to fly!
Sky islands with…
Gem trees on them sometimes.
Vines
Tulips! The tulip breeding culture was born.
Digging with bare hands and mining with primative tools faster
Twice as fast to craft ALL items!
Platinum coins! Worth 100 Gold coins.
Titanium! Get the ore, make ingots, blocks, swords, and pickaxes with it!
Platinum ore, ingots, and blocks. Shiny!
Carbon fiber blocks
Carbon fiber armor
Electric press
Electric sluice
Ownership signs! Structures are much safer now!!!
Black glass stairs
Black glass columns
Backwall removable
Backwalls only created if block is ten blocks above the ground or less
Workbenches and portals can now only be updated by admins, the owner of that world, or the owner of the bench.
Light painted signs now have black text

December 1st, 2015. 1.6.1! World customization!

Worlds can now be customized with custom rules! From what you spawn in with to sun color, it’s all there! Once you turn a vanilla world to custom, there is no going back. No portal chests or tc blocks in custom worlds to keep things fair.
You can make Trade portals sell everything to you for NO cost!
Make your blockheads die one hit, or never die.
Make your whole world protected!
Make your Blockhead constantly starve, or never feel any hunger.

It’s all CUSTOMIZABLE thanks to 1.6.1!

March 15th, 2018. THE LARGEST UPDATE EVER! 1.7.

Pets, animal breeding, unicorns, yaks, expert mode, pizza, baby dodos, graphical overhaul, customizable skins, a new font, free HD textures, animal breeding, cakes, wind, and so much more!

Specifics:

Additions

Added mob taming, by feeding a given mob the correct food/item
Added dodo breeding, resource eggs , egg extractor
Added donkey breeding, unicorns, rainbow cake.
Added mirror to customize blockhead appearance
Added new blockhead skins
You can now rename blockheads
Added gates
Added cages
Added wheat, flour, yeast, dough, bread, flatbread
Added tomatoes
Added pizza oven and pizza
Added yaks, yak horns, razors, yak shavings, milk, mozzarella
Added plaster block and luminous plaster block
Added gem blocks, craftable at a press
Adds D-pad for direct control of blockheads, and as an alternative to tilt control for boats/handcars/donkeys etc.
Added job listings at trade portals
Added new custom rules for teleportation, meditation, pole item degrading/respawning, blockhead death drops, trade portal buy/sell tax, and whether you need to discover items before you can buy them at trade portals
There is now wind, which affects clouds, rain, and some particles, blows fruit off trees, and lowers blockhead happiness due to exposure
New HD clouds
The time required to craft is now shown both before and during crafting
You can now change the area covered by ownership signs
Added /clear command to clear the chat
Expert mode added, see below
Changes

New font
New look buttons
Baby dodos!
Pole items now slowly degenerate over time like other clothing, and respawn at the poles 40 days after removal. This is configurable in custom rules.
The time crystal item has been mostly removed, should be impossible to do anything useful with any that remain
Coffee cherries now give a 10 second extra speed bonus- All food now gives a small energy boost
Energy now goes down a little faster to compensate
Foods now replenish half as much food and health
Sleep now also replenishes health slowly
Plant harvesting has been changed so you always harvest the entire plant no matter which part of it you tap. (excludes vines and kelp)
Plants no longer give a correct tool bonus when harvested by digging the block below with a spade
Plant item drop counts have changed
Sunflowers now emit light
Time crystal and gold ore and gold blocks now have a larger light radius, which matches the gem block light radius.
Boat moved to woodwork bench
String moved to weave workbench
After a rewarded video is watched, you need to wait 10 minutes before another will become available
Fur is now a little harder to come by from drop bears
Game Center multiplayer is no longer supported
‘Share a link’ crystal reward has been removed
All tools and weapons now lose durability 4x faster per strike if they are used as a weapon
The way animals spawn, feed and breed has totally changed, with longer lifetimes and different spawn rates
Trees above 3 blocks tall will now always give at least one fruit per season
Dodo feather drop on death is now 50% chance instead of 1 + 50%.
Fruit now falls off the trees at the end of the fruiting season, and stays on the ground for one day.
Tool decay custom rules are now 2x and 1/2x, not 4x and 1/4x
Water is no longer removed when capturing a fish or shark in a bucket
Dodos and donkeys now eat food lying around on the ground
When a mob or kelp is frozen in ice, it will no longer die, but will be preserved in its current state until it thaws and comes to life again
Drops from plants no longer make a sound unless they are being harvested by a blockhead
New sword sound
HD textures are now free, and are the default
Trade portals now have a far greater tax between buying and selling, 0.5x the base price when selling, 2x the base price when buying. This is configurable in custom rules.
Trade portals now require that you have picked up each item before you are able to buy/sell it in each world, however all items < 1.7 are unlocked in worlds you have already played in with 1.6. This is also configurable in custom rules.
Happiness no longer influences craft speed
Renamed ‘vanilla’ or ‘normal’ to ‘survival’ when used in text as a comparison to custom rules
Diamonds and diamond colored things now are a whiter color
Gems now emit a longer reaching light
Donkeys now suffer fall damage, can die from high falls
Scorpions now have babies even if there is a back wall
All mobs except cave trolls now take damage from high temperatures
New UI for selecting sun color
If you tap while riding something, you now see a button to ‘STOP RIDING’ instead of immediately jumping off
If the custom rules setting for world modification is set to disallowed or admin only, ownership signs can now be used to allow certain players to modify restricted areas
If you don’t have permission to remove/modify a sign, you now can’t mine/modify the block behind it
Chat notifications are suppressed if the UI to mute another player is visible
Bug Fixes

It should now be no longer possible for hacked clients to remove the main portal on servers
It also shouldn’t be possible for hacked clients to remove any other objects that they otherwise wouldn’t be able to.
Where the main portal has been removed previously, it should now replace the base stone on reload
Time crystal sharing via safes/shops etc. should no longer be possible
leaf particles no longer fall through solid blocks
Fixes bugs relating to beach sizes on very wet worlds, which caused a hang on creation when combined with the totally flat setting
Fixed bug where you would wake immediately when you try to sleep in a bed in some situations
Fixes bug where areas of the world would appear black when zoomed out 3x
Shark jaw size is now clamped to sane values
Placing trapdoors next to compost no longer works to spread compost
‘UNKNOWN’s and other items that shouldn’t exist can no longer be created or picked up
Fixes bugs that cause your multiplayer avatar to change to an older or newer version in certain situations
Fixes bug that caused the spawn item custom rules setting to revert sometimes when selecting empty or default
Expert Mode:

Adjustable with custom rules:

Teleportation requires diamond portal
Tools are used up at half the rate, as long as they are not used in an attack
Hunger rate doubled
Doubles damage received when harmed in any way
All items dropped when you die
Cannot meditate
Not adjustable with custom rules:

Totally new progression through workbenches with new crafting recipes for most items
Cannot get a workbench using time crystals, it must be crafted at a portal
Trade portal crafting requires diamond portal
In order to use any workbench/crafting block other than the spawn portal, you must be the one who placed it
Number of time crystal blocks has been doubled
Ore bonus with correct tool reduced from 3x to 2x
Plant drops are lower, and more related to current tool and whether it’s currently flowering. It’s possible to get no seed drop.
Trees and branches don’t drop anything extra when they fall as the result of another block being removed, the only drops come from the single block which was chopped
Dead trees don’t leave any drops
Less leather & fur drops from dropbears and donkeys
Less fruit grows on trees
Fewer treasure chests, and only in caves, not under beaches
Energy given by coffee and other food items halved
Low happiness gives a greater penalty to mine speed
Pole items have reduced effects
Health increase while sleeping is half that of normal mode

There we have it! I hope you enjoyed my historical write-up on The Blockheads.

Memory Gallery:

Photobombing Dave in Pyramid Park, Skylands Arena. 2017.

My pal @DGPG rides the head of a donkey in Survival Plains, 2017.

Finishing circumnavigating @Skeeve’s 16x world! (thank Skeeve for the Blockserver information in this thread)

Special thanks to Dave for developing such an amazing game, milla and Bean for doing an awesome job helping people out in the community, Dropbear for being a good mod in the early days, zhaus for creating the cloud and BlockServer, all of the beta testers, Ben, Derek, and the rest of the Noodlecake team for porting the updates and the game, and all of the players that keep this game going.

Blockheads Block News
Ancient Server-RABBITHOLE

I’m glad that a game that I loved from so many years ago is still having updates, and has not been forgotten. Hope that this game will be around for a long time yet! :slight_smile:

This is an amazing look back! Blockheads has come such a long way in 5 years.
I still remember the thrill of first playing version 1.0 and each successive update after that.

It’s been more than a game to me, it’s a hobby, a pastime, and a terrific social bridge between generations where both kids and adults can interact as equals.

My first memory of this game is downloading it, making a workbench, a woodwork bench, a campfire and a bed.
And the memorable ‘OW!’ that so alarmed me.

This time last year I told myself I would do something big for the BHs 5th birthday. Alas, I have succumb to laziness yet again.

But Brer, this is a really nice post! I love the “Happy 5th b-day, Blockheads” text and the rest of the pixel art! Nice job! And you clearly did your research on your BH history! XD

Happy Birthday, Blockheads! Here’s to many more years of growth, friendship, and fun!

Happy Birthday Blockheads! Here is to many more wonderful years ahead! I personally can’t wait to see what the future holds for Blockheads. It just keeps getting better with each update!

Thanks, I can’t take all the credit for that birthday pixel art though.

@Dylanjdj, Goodrain, and Rosie Posie did most of the work on that, even though it was my idea and on my server.

I’m glad you enjoyed the post, I worked very hard on it.

Hmm, how interesting to know that the birthday of The Blockheads coincides with my own…
Getting on topic, this is quite a well-made post.
I’m astonished at the progress the game has made, looking at the pictures. I think this is probably one of the best games I’ve played in a long, long time.

Hehehe… I remember 1.6 coming out I wanted to buy a jetpack sooo bad but they costed almost 3,000 plat :eek:

Happy birthday to the game and to the staff! Maybe a birthday event?

Planning on having one at my server Blockland where the pixel art originates.

Oh cool! Well @Brer-Rabbit, have a good time there.

Thanks! I will post more info on the event in the Blockland thread soon.

Love this post! It brings back great memories of my early blockhead days, and I know how much work you’ve put in to it. Nice job! :+1:

Great thread! Man, those were good times, and the updates were frequent. i hope it lasts another 5.

Same here, Jem. I hope we get another golden age of consistent updates just like 2013 at some point.

And seeing 1.7 plus 1.8 are coming, my hopes for the future of Blockheads are high.

Now I remember the old bh when released :joy: and I played this before 1.6 released :joy::joy::two_hearts:

My name is TheFoil because it is easier and better to say than Tinfoil noob wich comes from the fact that I am a conspiracy theorist and a future predictor and those people often wear tinfoil hats. But thanks for mentioning me anyways. Good topic :lol:

Thanks, and nice explanation on your username.

This is quite nice. Cool that you were online with majicDave! :slight_smile: