The Colour Picker

:rainbow:

The Colour Picker

To start off, I originally intended to sort the colours manually but didn't expected it to be so complicated.

Check out this link i happened to stumbled upon while searching on colour sorting
to understand what i mean. http://www.alanzucconi.com/2015/09/30/colour-sorting/

Using data from theblockheads wiki i created a spreadsheet that sort colours
base on its RGB or/and HSV/HSB values.

P.s Im pretty new on colour, spreadsheets, and HTML, but i think it turned out pretty okay.

Introduction to RGB and HSV (Skip if known)

There are many ways to sort colours, but for now we are just going to talk about sorting colours by RGB or HSV.

First of all,
RGB stands for Red, Green, and Blue while
HSV stands for Hue, Saturation, and Value

RGB

For RGB, a colour is defined by its "amount" of red, green,
and blue values with 255 being the max and 0 the min.

A colour represented in its RGB values may look something like this, “rgb(108,191,154)”, with the 1st number representing the amount of red, the 2nd number the amount of green and the last number the amount of blue.

From Fig.1 below we can see that depending on the amount of red, blue, and green the colour changes.
Red for instance has a red value of 255 but 0 for the rest.
Yellow on the other hand, has a red and green value of 255 but 0 for blue.

Fig.1

Colours in real life vary more than the colours shown in Fig.1.
Fig.1 only has colours with RGB values of 255 or 0 to show the contrast between the colours.

Fig.2 for instance, show a colour with varying RGB values.

Fig.2

HSV

Hue represents a colour and it can range from 0° to 360°

Refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hue for more information.

Saturation represents the colour intensity or colourfulness.
Imagine a bright shirt losing its colour and getting faded after multiple washing. That colour of that shirt is losing saturation.

Fig.3 shows the colour red with hue 0° at different levels of saturation.

Fig.3

Value is also known as brightness. Imagine a red chair in a room. In a room with good lighting, the chair will be a bright red but in a room with poor lighting the red chair will appear a darker shade of red.

Fig.4 shows the colour red with hue 0° at different levels of value/brightness.

Fig.4

Fig.5 shows the colour red with hue 0° at different levels of saturation and value/brightness.

Fig.5

To explore further on the relationship between RGB and HSV values on the colour appearance,
search colour picker.

Introduction to The Colour Picker spreadsheet

Summary

The Colour Picker
For sorting and finding paint colours according to your needs.

Column Purpose
A Organise the paint numerically according to theblockhead wiki.
B - D Show the required pigment combinations for the colour.
F Show an example of the colour.
G - J Show the RGB values for the colour.
Q - S Show the HSV values for the colour.
T Show the number of colours that meet the selected criteria.
Hidden Columns Either showing the math done to convert RGB to HSV or,
columns required for filters to work.

How the filtering works (Ignore if not interested)
Picture showing an example of the formula used in each cell of the filter columns.

The cells in the filter columns are formatted to display the word “Shown” if criteria is met,
and “Hide” if criteria is not met.
Conditional highlighting is used to make it visually pleasing and easy to interpret.

Applying filters to only show rows that fulfil criteria by using the filter columns to show rows with “Show” as its value.

How to use

Searching by Hue range

Fig.6

The boxes shown in Fig.6 are for finding paint colours in blockheads that resembles the one you have in mind.
If you have an image of the colour, you can use a colour identifier tool to find its hue.
If you have other types of values such as RGB, search online for “RGB to HSV” to find the colour’s hue value.

Using Fig.7 as an example,
Fig.7

Type the hue value (in this case “182”) into the box on the right of the box with words the “Hue Y:”.
Next, enter a hue range between “0-360”
into the box on the right of the box with the words " Hue range x:".

The smaller the hue range, the closer the colour choices match the colour you have.
However, the smaller the hue range, the lesser colour choices you have.
Examples below.

More colour choices but results matches less with the chosen colour. Hue: 182, Hue range: 57.

Less colour choices but results matches more with the chosen colour. Hue: 182, Hue range: 9.

Searching by Hue, Saturation or/and values/brightness range

Enter the upper and lower values to find colours within a hue, saturation or values range.

For instance, searching for colours with saturation of less than 50 to find faded looking colours.

Searching for colours
with saturation of less than 50 and values of 0.655 and above to find “milky” looking colours

Searching for colours
with saturation of less than 50 and values of less than 0.605 to find "dead" looking colours.

Searching by ascending/descending RGB or HSV

Sort the column you want by ascending or descending to find colours.

Sorted by descending R (red) values.

Sorted by descending G (green) values.

Sorted by descending B (blue) values.

Links for The Colour Picker spreedsheet

Google Doc
Apple Numbers
Microsoft Excel

Let me know if you spot any errors in the spreadsheet or this post. Thanks. :smiley::smiley::smiley:
Check out The almost complete list of guides for guides on other stuff.

Edit:

Should I do a brief introduction on related stuff but not blockheads stuff for future guides?

For instance, in this particular guide i went through RGB and HSV briefly.
In the future should i just link a article that explains RGB and HSV or ask people to search on the net themselves, or should i do what i did for this guide and try to make a brief guide?

• Make a guide
  • Depends
  • Direct them to a guide on the internet

0 voters

4 Likes

Nice spreadsheet and welcome back to the forums! :slight_smile:

Thanks. Just popping by to see how things are going.
Will be creating a few more guides before leaving.
Hope to drop back in for the 1.7 update. :slight_smile:

You copied the skeevatron

I like his work but I wouldn’t say i copied him.
A spreadsheet gets the job done and is easy to use in my personal opinion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome back!
This spreadsheet is good. Quite complicated though…

1 Like

Very nice work!! Actually, Skeeve will be commending you for it. It is hard work for anyone to put this together, whether others have done something similar or not.

And I am very interested in using this.

I tried my best to keep the spreadsheet simple and explain using it in the “how to use” part of the guide.

It is basically a spreadsheet that shows you colours that fit your requirements.

All you have to do is enter the desired values into the cells or sort the columns by ascending or descending and the spreadsheet should do the rest of the work.
As for the values to enter to get the desired outcome, refer to the introduction to HSV or the “how to use” part of the guide.

The values should be entered into the cells/boxes I have circled in red as shown in the image below. If you’re using the Apple Numbers version, you may use the slider to do so.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Didn’t realise by skeevatron you meant a tool, thought you meant the user.
I have not been on the forums for a very long time. I did not know such a tool exist.

The colour picker however is fundamentally different from the skeevatron in such that it sorts and show colours.
In contrast to (if i’m interpreting the tool correctly) the skeevatron which samples a image and shows you the paints you should use.

I’m glad it is different fundamentally otherwise it would be a wasted effort creating this spreadsheet.
I will take note to read the posts from the past few years before attempting another guide.
Dodged a bullet this time. :slight_smile: whew…

3 Likes