The real size of a 16x world

Why, hello there fellow forum members. Today I was playing on Skeeve’s Exile (Its a great server, you should check it out if you haven’t already) and I made the ludicrous decision to try to circumnavigate. Skeeve’s Exile is a 16x world. Now, as many before me can confirm, circumnavigation of a 16x world is… long. Very, very long. Long, long story short, I gave up and went back to my hidey hole. But, as I fled from the huge challenge awaiting me, I had a thought: if this server were in a real-world size, how big would it really be? So today, to answer the question literally nobody was asking, I will calculate the real-world size of a 16x world.
(This involves a lot of long, boring math. If long, boring math is not for you, don’t open the spoiler.)

The math

The first thing I needed to do was to figure out how big a world is in blocks. To start, I made a 1/16x world, and I counted. The distance between two poles in a 1/16x world is 256 blocks, meaning the total circumference of the world is 256 * 4, or 1024 blocks. (There are technically 4 extra blocks that the poles rest on, but I add these in later, as these 4 blocks don’t seem to increase as the world size does.)

Next, I multiplied the size of the 1/16th world by 16, to get the size of a regular world. This gets us a result of 16,384 blocks. A staggering amount, to be sure, but it gets bigger. To get our final world size of 16x, I simply multiplied 16,385 * 16 (plus 4 extra blocks for the poles) to get a mind-boggling 262,148 blocks. That’s huge. Now, for the… ahem… really fun part. (Or, as most of you will think, the really boring part.)

In order to get a real-world distance, I first needed to convert blocks to kilometers. (Or miles for you other American readers.) Looking at the scaling of a block, I think it’s a safe guess to say a block is close to, if not exactly, a meter. This means that the world is 262,148 meters in circumference, or 262 kilometers rounded down. Now that the metric system is sorted, it’s time to get to our dear-old convoluted American way of measuring things. 1 metric meter is about 3.25 feet, so we multiply 262,148 by 3.25 to get 851,981 feet. There are 5280 feet in a mile, so now it’s a simple equation of 851,981 divided by 5280 to get a grand total of…

:drum::drum::drum:Drumroll please…:drum::drum::drum:

Skeeve’s Exile is…

161.36 miles (or 262 km) in circumference.

Yeah, that’s right. The entirety of Seeve’s Exile is about 160 miles. That virtual world you spent 6, 7, 10 hours walking around? That immensely humongous map that takes upwards of 10 minutes just to scroll through? That’s the size of South Dakota, end-to-end. The real world is almost 156 times larger than the largest world setting on the blockheads. Makes you feel small, doesn’t it?

Well, I hope the 4 of you who actually bothered to read this come out with a little more knowledge than you had coming in, and remember, that’s JUST A THEORY- A GAME THEOR-wait a second, this outro might already be taken…
(Sorry, couldn’t resist.)

Anyways, just let me know if you think a calculation is off, and I’ll edit it to make sure you’re all getting as accurate useless information as possible. In the meantime, thanks for reading, and I’ll see ya around!

How big is a block?

Wait , how do you know it would be like 160 miles?

How are you representing measurements in a virtual game. For the rest of us we measure distances by the number of blocks in between two points. (Just like most other block game)

What is your unit of measurement per block? Or are you comparing sizes of a blockhead to the size of a person and using that to scale?

A like the idea that you could try to measure the size of world compared to the actual size of the world. If all of this is true then the size comparison would be mathimatically amazing.

Even the world size setting for minecraft is comparably small compared to the earth lol

You could always calculate the velocity at which a blockhead moves, and compare its movements to a professional speed walker to get an idea of how far the blocks blockheads travel on actually are

If you wanted to be even more precise than it already is

If you really wonder about the details of measurement, how hard is it to read the spoiler with all the explanations???

The maths simplified (DerpMaster version) :
The distance between two poles in a 1/16x world is 256 blocks (without pole blocks)
The distance of a 1/16x world is (256 * 4) = 1024 blocks (without pole blocks)
The distance of a 1x world is (1024 * 16) = 16,384 blocks (without pole blocks)
The distance of a 16x world is (16,384 * 16 + 4) = 262,148 blocks (+4 for with pole blocks)
“I assume a block is 1 meter”
262,148 blocks = 262,148 meters (262.148km)
1 meter = 3.25 feet
262,148 * 3.25 = 851,981 feet.
5280 feet = 1 mile
851,981 / 5280 = 161.36 miles (262.148km)

Extra Info:
5280 / 3.25 = 1624 meters in a mile.

Note:
We add the 4 pole blocks to 16x, because if we do it at 1x or 1/16 and we multiply it, we get multiple pole blocks, which isn’t what we want.

The maths simplified (zsteve21 version)
The distance between two poles in a 1/16x world is 256 blocks (without pole blocks)
The distance of a 1/16x world is (256 * 4) = 1024 blocks (without pole blocks)
The distance of a 16x world is (1024 * 256 + 4) = 262,148 blocks (+4 for with pole blocks)
“I also assume a block is 1 meter”
262,148 blocks = 262,148 meters (262.148km)
"Using the extra info, There are apparently 1624 meters in a mile
262,148 meters / 1624 = 161.42 miles (close to 161.36 miles (262.148km))

Note:
We add the 4 pole blocks to 16x, because if we do it at 1x or 1/16 and we multiply it, we get multiple pole blocks, which isn’t what we want.

So much math!

So much math. But it’s pretty simple to follow.

So it’s easy to figure out in meters but the other person was working with miles instead of kilometres.

1.8 be like:

1/4x, 1x, 4x, 16x, Earth-x

@ElTaPa I used the assumption that a block equals a meter, but I can actually prove this using math. (And pixel measurements.)

An average adult male is about 5’ 6” in height. Therefore, if my block = meter assumption is correct, a blockhead should work out to be about 5’ 6” against a 2 meter background. (There are actually different average heights for males and females, but as all blockheads are the same height, I will be using the male average.)

To start, I put a blockhead up against a 2 block tall wall and did some good old-fashioned pixel measurements.

The blockhead appears to be 1 full meter + 11/16ths of a meter, or 1.68 meters, tall. Plug this into a simple meters-to-feet calculator and you get 5.511 feet. Remember, this is a decimal. It’s saying a blockhead is 5 and a half feet, meaning a blockhead is almost exactly 5’ 6” when we use the block = meter ratio, thus proving that the block = meter ratio is at least a reasonable distance measurement. I hope this answers your question. :slightly_smiling_face:

@SomeRandomUser While calculating a blockhead’s speed by using already existing distance measurements (such as 1 block = 1 meter) sounds very doable, it’s not so easy the other way around. Blockheads have a lot of different speeds, just like real people, but the problem is that we don’t know what a blockhead’s “gear” is for any specific time. For example, is the “default” walking speed (no boots, very happy, flat ground) a leisurely walk, a speed walk, or a hard jog? Or how about when it’s hopped up on caffeine? Is that a hard jog or a sprint? Because there’s so many variables, I can’t compare it to a real-world scenario, and because speed is always changing, I can’t use it as a reliable distance marker. (If you wanted me to, however, I could see how fast a caffeinated blockhead zooms by using the block = meter ratio. That might be fun.)

@Prototype Maybe you should pitch Dave the suggestion of a 2,496x world, let’s see skeeve build a rail around that! :wink:

Useless?!

Ah, yeah, I figured you went along those lines. And estimated something along the lines of a block equaling a meter. I just never counted the blocks it takes from pole to pole, not even on a small world. Or it’s an established fact on the net somewhere I have not checked lol

Other measurements to help me with sizes like inches or feet, my older sister, who is smaller than me, is exactly 5ft! Any other number I just use her as a base lol!

Either that or, I’m pretty sure an inch is about 2.5cm. And I just build on that? Maybe I’m wrong but on a ruler those measurements are really close.

Here’s a little fun fact: apparently Ambience, the game Dave is currently working on, actually has an earth-sized world to explore. I gotta say, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to circumnavigate that… :sweat_smile:

I’d be interested to see who would be the quickest at calculating how far each block represents in real world distances for a 1x world, a 4x world and a 16x world with the assumption that each of these worlds was the size of earth. Go.

(does 1 research)
(gets out calculator) 6,371km / 262km = 24.3167939
Ok.
16x = 24.3167939 meters each block
(uses calculator 2 more times)
4x = 97.2671756 meters each block
1x = 389.0687024 meters each block
Don’t tell me why I multiplied by 4 to get 4x and 1x.
Anyway I win.

Well instead of making this thread you can just go to a 1/16x world and calculate how much blocks in 1 pole, then *4, the *256, and boom. Done. This entire thread is debunked.

I mesured: 1 pole (1/16x)[257]

257 * 4 * 256= 263,168

Distance between each pole: 65,792 (Basically circumnavigating a 4x world just to get to 1 pole)

I’m sorry, I debunked it first. No need to put it down to a further stage…

I mean no need to debunk it more…

They can if they want.

There is a want, but there isn’t a need

Love the useless facts! Keep up the good work!