Virtual Box vs Windows-Bootcamp

Hi everyone :smiley:
I would be very happy to get advice as soon as possible, because my lecture starts in four hours and thirty minutes. I depend on the two programs MS Visio and IGrafx, but they are not available for the Mac. Does anyone have any experience with Virtual Box or creating a Windows boot camp? I am not sure if the latter is really necessary?
Edit: I’m not able to download Virtual Box :sweat_smile: Does anyone know an alternative?

VMware is one alternative.

Here is a VMware tutorial. :slight_smile:

Here is a Bootcamp tutorial. :slight_smile:
1 Like

Thank you so much!! :sparkling_heart:

My pleasure! :slight_smile:

How did your lecture go?

1 Like

It has probably been the best lecture so far :slight_smile: The lecturers of the Department of Business Informatics have really outdone themselves this year! I really had to laugh at the thought that in Switzerland I could only follow the lecture of my lecturer from Stockholm, thanks to an American. Lived globalisation :smile: Thank you for asking & your help! :smile:

What did you do to end up getting Windows on your Mac? Bootcamp? I want to know the story.

1 Like

Ive spent some painful hours to go through with Bootcamp :smile: First of all I’ve downloaded the Window’s virtual Desktop via a 12 month Azure students subscription, as recommended by my faculty. Through my faculty’s account I was able to download the file for free through Microsoft Imagination. I started the Boot Camp assistant & realised that I had to clean up my storage and free 30GB. (Bye Favorit games :frowning: ) From then on I’ve been following the descriptions in your video Tutorial :slight_smile: I was seriously struggling to switch back from Windows to IOS, for almost 30 minutes had I been convinced, that I somehow deleted IOS in the whole process. :sweat_smile:

At least you got through the lecture! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Bootcamp could be more user-friendly. I ended up doing a lot of command-line stuff to get it to work on my workstation. Most users don’t use the unix back end at all. I imagine most just give up or pay someone to do it for them.

1 Like

a lot of vmware applications can require a beefy computer or at least a reasonable amount of space to create files within your original os, so using vmware on your current system may prove to be a pointless effort from the tedious amounts of lag

do you feel as though you have a reasonably powerful system? if so you could download a vmware application of some sort, assuming that nothing is blocked and you have the correct amount of space for the executable and the direct result of that installation, so at least 1 gb for a majority of them

VMware is a brand. You mean virtual machine apps :slight_smile:

I used to use WINE a bit for running Windows stuff on my Mac. It’s limited but it’s an option.

Note this is not an emulator, which the name stems from (WINE Is Not an Emulator), in the tradition of GNU. It’s also not a virtual machine app. It’s a conversion layer.

1 Like