What is the best way to get energy?

Back in 2015, @Skeeve made a guide covering how much crafting time you get depending on what bed you sleep in. This was great, but Dave made quite a few changes to energy + crafting time in 1.7, so I decided it was time to repeat the experiment.

All of the below tests were done with double time.
I don’t have a device without double time to compare, but I’d expect it would just cut the crafted items in half. Further, as I mostly play in expert worlds lately, all these tests were done in a survival expert world.

Skeeve’s test used the Skirt of Happiness to eliminate the variable of happiness. I performed the tests twice, once with the skirt and once without it. The results were identical. The blockhead performing each test slept right next to the workbench he would use and crafted until he refused to craft due to exhaustion. Since energy is recovered when eating food, no food was consumed during crafting.

I decided to craft ladders instead of steel ingots because ladders take 10s to craft (2) instead of 30s, making it possible to get a closer estimate to the actual available crafting time.

Energy recovery Ladders Projected time
No bed 80 6m40s
Wooden bed 102 8m30s
Soft bed 134 11m10s
Golden bed 188 15m40s
Coffee 112 9m20s

There’s one notable difference here from Skeeve’s results ages ago. Coffee has been seriously nerfed. It used to be as good as a gold bed, but now getting a good nights sleep in a soft bed is better than drinking coffee.

So what does this tell us? The projected time is the most important column in the above table.
A projected time of 10 minutes means you can queue up crafting tasks for up to 10 minutes, tell your BH to sleep in a bed, and then queue up another 10 minutes of tasks. If you do this, leave the server, and come back later, both sets of crafting tasks will be completed.

An example: I recently opened a coffee shop on a server. Now, coffee requires crafting clay and then cups, crushing and then roasting coffee cherries, and getting wayyy too many buckets of water. I have 3 blockheads, and I can only really manage two at a time, so I like to keep the third one queued up with as many crafting tasks as possible.

The third blockhead will craft 30 clay, nap and repeat 10 times until I have 300 clay. I can then craft 100 cups all at once, nap again and then make coffee. I usually just do coffee cherries for a while until I have a couple stacks, but clay + coffee both require water so I work on those at the same time.

day%2012%20energy%20(2)
Advent Calendar Day 12

14 Likes

This takes me back to 2013 and my very first server I joined where I set up a coffee shop equipped with a sink and “running water”. Good times, before the trade portal came along and ruined all our money making efforts.

1 Like

I faintly remember going to a world with a coffee shop sometime back in 2013…

I was reading through the 1.7 change notes and found this under the expert mode section.

It sounds like I need to repeat the coffee experiment in a normal world. This indicates it should be better than a gold bed, but I have a hard time believing that.

3 Likes

I went through the effort of making coffee. Incredible stuff. Replenishes your Englert faster than gold beds and ever gives your blockhead a speed boost. Best to play with sound on. That’s how I figured out it was definitely faster.

Not to mention golden beds are quite costly to make.
As of the current prices for the blockheads market, it costs:

1 gold block (86 GC (rounded))
100 TC (500 GC (lets say each TC = 5 GC))
5 fur (0.04 GC x 5 = 0.2 GC)

Which is 586.2 GC to produce.
to produce coffee at the other hand:

1 cup (0.04 GC)
1 bucket of water (0.9 GC)
1 roasted coffee bean (0.27 GC)

amounts to: 1.21 GC.

That means you would have to drink 484.5~ cups of coffee to make a golden bed worth it.
This is only a rough estimate as you currently cannot trade GC for TC as of right now, so don’t take this inaccurate comparison as a fact.

This is way too high. I’d say it is at most 1/4 of that. This doesn’t factor in that you have to craft each coffee you drink (unless you buy it, which isn’t a great investment)

Once you have enough cups, they are reusable so I don’t count them. Buckets of water are also reusable, but have to be refilled. It takes me about 5 minutes to refill a stack of them (without causing lag by just taking from an ocean), so I’ll say 5 seconds per bucket. (This is actually quite low, in expert mode at least water farms slow it down significantly… but this can be parallelized)

Green coffee bean -> 15 seconds
Roasted coffee bean -> 20 seconds
Coffee -> 20 seconds

That is, each coffee takes a minute (really more). Once you have a gold bed, it’s takes 47 seconds to sleep (without fast time).

By the time you can craft coffee or a gold bed, resources aren’t a problem. Sure, you probably don’t want to throw stacks of titanium into lava, but the 10 gold blocks for a bed isn’t an issue.

Don’t get me wrong though, I use a ridiculous amount of coffee. Whenever a BH is away from base they carry at least a stack of coffee.

I actually have been able buy gold beds from a server. Some people do that now, where they can sell golden beds. Another PC and I think I came across a shop that sold diamond pickaxes.

The problem with gold beds however is you cannot rely on them all the time, and they are not as convenient or portable as coffee. sure, you can place one down and rest fairly quickly if you are on a single player world, but on a multiplayer server coffee is certainly going to be used more often as most people dont really want to wait 47 seconds.

Another downside of golden beds is the TC investment. of course, for some its not a problem, but for the majority of others it just doesnt seem worthwhile to create something such as a golden bed that you are probably going to forget about in the next 15 minutes.

In the long run it’s better to have a golden bed even if ours on a server.

Coffee is pretty hard to get to especially since

1. The coffee cherry plant is hard to come across
  2. It takes a long time to grow
  3. Multiple steps just to make One coffee

I helped set up my friends server and made spawn look nice. It helped a lot there were spare resources in the chests, upgraded benches and golden beds. Other than that, there’s were houses and hotels nearby that rented out rooms that had golden beds

Seems good to use coffee in the long run though. They are more portable, and they are fast. The only problem is crafting them. (Unless it is custom) Because you can just carry a stack of them and drink them as you get more tired.

As he said in the initial post, soft beds are still a little bit more than coffee, but coffee is easier so I would still use coffee over a bed anytime. Especially if you are in a custom server where everything is free or easy to get, you can just grab a coffee and be done with it. As opposed to getting all the materials in the beginning when resources are low.