Why hackers hack

Why do hackers hack?
My friend said they seek revenge against players!

First of all, most “hackers” on The Blockheads are not really smart enough to do what people think they can. They can’t take over your device, they can’t break your internet, etc. Pretty much all most “hackers” can do is cheat. Like fly without a jetpack, break blocks in milliseconds, etc. Some can cause damage to your world like currupting blocks and making them into workbenches, etc. But that shouldn’t be much of a problem anymore since admins can use the /repair command.

3 Likes

Well, let’s define things a little better first.

There are the true hackers who figure out the game code to a certain extent and understand how to exploit it. I would say that many of this type do it out of curiosity and desire to test their skills at circumventing the code. The worst ones have no regard for the intent of the developer or the sanctity of the code. If they find an exploit, they will see how far they can abuse that weakness.

Most of who you see damaging servers in Blockheads are script kiddies who just downloaded some software created by a real hacker which abuses the exploits to cheat the game. They do it because they don’t care about rules or morality. Some might seek revenge against players if they have a grudge against them somehow, but not all of them do. Some just want to do malicious damage because they think it’s fun.

10 Likes

I found this I didn’t know hacking has a level’s too or a thing they called them self when you see in the summary they have a lot of colors Hat to called there self.

Click and you'll see a majic!
  1. Script Kiddie – Script Kiddies normally don’t care about hacking (if they did, they’d be Green Hats. See below.). They copy code and use it for a virus or an SQLi or something else. Script Kiddies will never hack for themselves; they’ll just download overused software (LOIC or Metasploit, for example) and watch a YouTube video on how to use it. A common Script Kiddie attack is DoSing or DDoSing (Denial of Service and Distributed Denial of Service), in which they flood an IP with so much information it collapses under the strain. This attack is frequently used by the “hacker” group Anonymous, which doesn’t help anyone’s reputation.

2. White Hat – Also known as ethical hackers, White Hat hackers are the good guys of the hacker world. They’ll help you remove a virus or PenTest a company. Most White Hat hackers hold a college degree in IT security or computer science and must be certified to pursue a career in hacking. The most popular certification is the CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) from the EC-Council.

3. Black Hat – Also known as crackers, these are the men and women you hear about in the news. They find banks or other companies with weak security and steal money or credit card information. The surprising truth about their methods of attack is that they often use common hacking practices they learned early on.

4. Gray Hat – Nothing is ever just black or white; the same is true in the world of hacking. Gray Hat hackers don’t steal money or information (although, sometimes they deface a website or two), yet they don’t help people for good (but, they could if they wanted to). These hackers comprise most of the hacking world, even though Black Hat hackers garner most (if not all) of the media’s attention.

5. Green Hat – These are the hacker “n00bz,” but unlike Script Kiddies, they care about hacking and strive to become full-blown hackers. They’re often flamed by the hacker community for asking many basic questions. When their questions are answered, they’ll listen with the intent and curiosity of a child listening to family stories.

6. Red Hat – These are the vigilantes of the hacker world. They’re like White Hats in that they halt Black Hats, but these folks are downright SCARY to those who have ever tried so much as PenTest. Instead of reporting the malicious hacker, they shut him/her down by uploading viruses, DoSing and accessing his/her computer to destroy it from the inside out. They leverage multiple aggressive methods that might force a cracker to need a new computer.

7. Blue Hat – If a Script Kiddie took revenge, he/she might become a Blue Hat. Blue Hat hackers will seek vengeance on those who’ve them angry. Most Blue Hats are n00bz, but like the Script Kiddies, they have no desire to learn.

6 Likes

To be able to put it into perspective it’ll be nice to know the source of that long quote.

1 Like

To me there’s 2 MAIN types of hackers.
1: cool mans
Cool mans just brag or are like:
Ima hacker so I cool
I WILL HAX U IF U KILL MEH
2: Sn4ckers
Sn4ckers are sneaky hackers. I would say most hackers are these.
They do things that don’t involve other people. Like hacking in a few iron ingots or something. Sometimes they do giant things like hacking a server or small things. Like destroying a few blocks.

1 Like
  1. for more advantage in gameplay

2. to do fun stuff with it

3. greif

4.IDK HOW DO U EGGXPECT US TWO KNO THIS

What exactly do you mean by just hacking a server? Hacking is a very broad subject. If someone was going to hack a server they would actually have to do something to damage the server like remove the owner, or make the server stop functioning somehow.

Also as @Blocknuggets brought out, most of the “hackers” on this game are just script kiddies that download programs. I have yet to see an actual black hat hacker that knows how to modify code do anything malicious on The Blockheads.

Summarizing what the others said, “hackers” don’t really hack, they download scripts. But as for why, there could be multiple reasons.

Some are bored with the game and think well, there’s no harm in doing it. After all, if I get banned, I’ll just download the next game (a skiddie might say). I have reached a point in the game where I don’t find it to be as much fun as I used to. I still enjoy it, just not as much as I used to. In this situation someone might think that being a hacker would be cool and “bring back the fun” to the game.

Elaborating on the previous point, there’s something that people get when you see instant gratification. Eliminating someone in Overwatch or any other shooter game is one of the most satisfying things in the world. There are aesthetics, and I could see how people could want to get more of that instant gratification (i.e. onehitkill, infinite health, breaking blocks instantaneously).

Hackers also tend to like vanilla worlds. There seems to be this general vibe that vanilla servers are tons of fun because it brings us back to 1.5 or maybe since you can use a portal chest in that. But still, they want to build their houses and pixel arts, so an easy way to do this without any work is hacking it in.

Some could genuinely want to help people by cheating. This isn’t necessarily a good thing but some seriously derive joy from helping others. They get that “feel good” dopamine from helping others. Plus, it’s a bunch of 1’s and 0’s. It’s free and easy, so why not? You’ll get some messages from grateful “easy” players.
Others might think the game is too hard. Why is beyond me but some could. In expert worlds I could see how desperate one would become to progress. Speaking of progress, some people might want to see every single item in the game; like a progress tree.

As for destruction of servers, usually they do it because of stress. I can’t for the life of me see how ruining other people’s hard work is fun, but for some people it could just be a way to vent.

Of course these are all inexcusable reasons for using scripts but you don’t know why they’d do it. I’m not encouraging you to use hacks or trying to defend them but these are all possible reasons.
I think what you’re really trying to get at here (in a connotative context) is “I’m frustrated with all these hackers. Why would they hurt people?”. The answer is varied but the best thing to do is ban them and blacklist their IP.

This thread is a tad wordy. I have no desire to read it but do have an informed opinion on the subject. Hackers hack because they can. It is amusing to them especially when they get to see your reaction. This is why it is best not to say anything to them. Just IP ban immediately.

Taking photos of the perp for evidence helps but I don’t have the patience. Short story long think of hackers as Internet Trolls baiting for a reaction. Attention seekers.

You can use /repair as an admin too.

Pretty sure instakill is used by mostly by Script Kiddies.

I thought they got rid of it. Gm and stuff like this is why there aren’t many pvp servers as there would be

No. I have seen many people use gm. They just can’t give it to others.

They just downloading JB for free apps that need to pay an app they like they can hack as a mod on games for unlimited money or cash example here TC if you mod this game they’ll have unlimited TC and flying like that. But as far I know since the 1.7 release I don’t see hackers in our game anymore I think the JB they using no more any longer works in the new update! :slight_smile:

Hackers are trash. If you get yourself free loot and TC fine, you are just ruining it for yourself. But if you grief servers and cause people to suffer then you should be perm banned.

1 Like

Most hackers hack for fun.

A beautiful poem by me lol:
Hackers gonna hack
Tick tap tap tak

Some “hackers” such as MajicDave and Bibliophile (a hacker is technically any computer wiz) are pretty good. But I assume you mean the hackers that cause problems, often times it’s to make life easier for themselves, get revenge or something else.

1 Like

Just popping this here.